Kintra camping is probably as close to wild camping as you can get: you can camp in the dunes, right next to the beach. Our facilities are simple: hot and cold water, toilets, showers, washing-up facilities, access to laundry facilities, and an honesty library. But it’s the site itself that draws people again and again, not our mod-cons. The campsite is located among the grassy dunes, on a Site of Special Scientific Interest for Chough and Arctic Tern. It covers a large area and rarely feels crowded. Light up a fire on the beach, wrap up warm, pour a little dram, and watch the waves.
In the height of the summer it is light till almost 11pm, and the sight of the Kintra sunset is unforgettable.
The beach is fantastic for children – and for grown ups. There’s great surf, and almost always a wind of some kind (good for wind sports, and good protection from midges!).
Our water supply is from two sources, privately supplied and maintained. 1) from borehole, treated and tested. 2) from reservoir, untreated which must be boiled before use (you will notice its distinctive brown colour – this is from the peaty soil in the area from which it is drawn). Our water source is very much finite (you can see our reservoir on the walk out beyond the gate to the hill land), so please use it carefully.
If you are camping at Kintra Farm at Kintra Beach you are welcome to bring your dogs, as long as the dogs are kept under strict control, because of other campers’ interest, and because of livestock, especially sheep. Cows with young calves and bulls can be aggressive and for your own safety, as well as that of your dogs, there are certain areas in which dogs are not allowed. Also, due to the rocky nature of our moorland coast, and the danger of sheep rushing over rocks, there are specific areas of the moorland hill to which dogs are not allowed to go at any time.
Please note that:
- We are open from May to September
- We do not have electric hook-ups.
- We are 4 miles west of Port Ellen, not on any bus-route.
- Being a working hill farm, we normally have plenty of space.
- We do not take bookings.
- We provide flush toilets and showers for resident campers only.
- we are unable to accept disposal of chemical effluent at Kintra
- On arrival, please register, for information, before going to camping area.
Frequently Requested Rates – Per Night (2016)
- Adult: £4 per night, Child (5-14): £2 per night, Child under 5 years: free.
- + 1-person tent: £6 per night, 2-person tent £8 per night
- + Family Tent: From £ 9-£14 per night. Motorhome: from £8 – £14 per night.
- + Awning extension: From £2. (size dependent)